What Is an Analogy? (with Examples)
What Is an Analogy? (with Examples)An analogy is the comparison of two similar ideas in order to explain one.
Examples of AnalogiesHere are some examples of analogies:
Similes and MetaphorsThe most common form for an analogy is a simile or a metaphor.
Simile. A simile is a figure of speech in which one thing is likened to another. For example:
- She is as solid as a rock.
- She sings like an angel.
- Her vocabulary was as bad as, like, whatever.
Metaphor.A metaphor is a figure of speech which asserts that one thing is something that it literally is not. For example:
- She is a rock.
- As a singer, she's a crow.
- Her vocabulary is worse than mine. Hers is...whatever.
Analogies Are UsefulUsed sparingly in business writing (e.g., once in a document), analogies can:
- Be used to simplify ideas.
- Be memorable.
- Be impactful.
- Plan A would be the most profitable in the short term, but it is building house on a flood plain.