Definition of Noun (with Examples)
The Definition of NounA noun is a word used for a person, place, or thing. Nouns are often described as naming words.
Examples of NounsHere are some examples of nouns:
- The Eiffel Tower
Types of NounAll nouns can be classified as one of the following:
- A Common Noun. A common noun is the word for a person, place, or thing (e.g., cat, letter, pound, bravery, building, sea).
- A Proper Noun. A proper noun in the name given to a person, place, or thing (e.g., Felix, The Empire State Building, Atlantic Ocean, Mr Jones, Doomsday Book).
Categories of NounsCommon nouns can also be categorized as one (or more) of the following:
- Abstract Noun (e.g., love, hate, pessimism)
- Collective Noun (e.g., team, school, choir)
- Compound Nouns (e.g., sister-in-law, cooking-oil, snowman)
- Concrete Noun (e.g., table, eagle, snowman)
- Countable Noun (e.g., table, eagle, snowman)
- Mass Nouns (or Non-Countable Nouns) (e.g., air, steel, flour)
- Gender-Specific Noun (e.g., lady, vixen, bull)
- Verbal Nouns (e.g., swimming, laughing, writing)
Take a longer test on nouns.